RARA-AVIS: Manchette

From: Domenic ( mystery.robot@pacbell.net)
Date: 07 Nov 2005

Kerry, you wrote: "I'm not sure I can accept that idea anymore, that these things are at an unconscious level... So when you said that "crime fiction is no longer the revolutionary medium it once was, but rather propaganda for the status quo," and called for a change, I took that to be a political statement. As such, I found it quite exciting. I may decide to continue to misconstrue you intentions."

I don't think we really disagree, or not much.

What's at the conscious level, what's not--I do think it depends sometimes on the writer, the level of sophistication, the nature of the work.

The statement you quote from Noor Manifesto, I think that is a political statement, or can be read that way--but for me the idea of "revolution" is not limited to what we generally refer to as the political arena.

But I also think that Frederick--in his post under Agents of the Empire--brings up an interesting paradox.