Re: RARA-AVIS: Cyberpunk Recomendation?

From: Tribe ( tribexx@gmail.com)
Date: 06 Oct 2005

On 10/6/05, DJ-Anonyme@webtv.netwrote:

> Tribe wrote:
>
> "Give Will Christopher Baer's Penny Dreadful my vote for a cyberpunk
> novel that's more aligned with crime fiction."
>
> Penny Dreadful is cyberpunk? Isn't it the second in the triology that
> began with Kiss Me, Judas. Well, I read that one and don't remember it
> being cyberpunk. Although very stylized, it seemed ike straight noir to
> me. Is Penny Dreadful that radical a shift? How's it different?

If I remember correctly, there were several scenes in Penny Dreadful that entailed settings changing directly in front of a character's eyes (I don't believe that those scene changes had anything to do with drug induced hallucinations). Also, the whole role-playing and/or game-playing thread gave it all a more science-fiction feel.

I was very disappointed in Penny Dreadful because of all the horror/sci-fi elements...not because those elements were used, but I just didn't find that Baer used them in any particularly interesting way. If there's something I'm missing from Penny Dreadful, I'd love to be set straight. Kiss Me Judas is, in my humble opinion, one of the great noir books of the last 25 years.

It's the weakest of Baer's books, not nearly as compelling as Kiss Me Judas. Hell's Half Acre is much better than Penny Dreadful, but again not reaching the heights of Kiss Me Judas.

Tribe

--
http://tribe.textdriven.com/blog
Tribe's Blog

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->