Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: On Noir

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Sep 2005

Jim Doherty wrote:

To say that noir means something more than a dark and sinister atmosphere pervading the story, and that's really all that the books published, and being published, under the Serie Noir logo had and have in common, is to say that the people who coined the term...

***************** It appears that your entire argument for how noir should be defined is based on what you perceive as its orginal use. I'm not sure if I buy into that, but if I did, I would point out that the term "Roman noir" was used in the 18th century to describe Gothic novels, and the terror and doom expressed in those books is pretty much characteristic of what I would describe as noir.

My experience of noir is very similar to that of a fellow named Paul Duncan, author of a thin little book entitled Noir Fiction. I recommend it highly, especially since it agrees with what I think. <g>

miker