Re: RARA-AVIS: A.I. Bezzerides, Long Haul/They Drive By Night

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 01 Sep 2005

I've read the book two years ago. I join you for your conclusions about it, but I can't remember if I saw the movie(s).

I will add that your comment of "sub Steinbeck" is totally justified, and personally I did not really enjoy this book. It seems a little bit artificial for an important part of it, and the bad luck replacing fate in this would be tragedy, seems to me as pushing it a little bit too much on the melodrama side. Even close tto the "roman ࠴h賥" ( type of novel assembled like a mechanical device wherein things have to happen, and is designed to allow them to happen, in order to prove something - the author's thesis- and not only illustrating it). Rest the realistic writing of many passages and the feeling of a gone era (for to day readers). I personally think that there are much more interesting American novels with social realism, than this one by Bezzerides.

Speaking of Steinbeck, I've always advocated that his "In Dubious Battle" (1936) is, besides being a great novel, a real noir novel, with HB elements. Our stuff.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8364

William Denton wrote: (edited)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM