RARA-AVIS: Philosophize This

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2005

Just thinking out loud here, but...

I guess one could aspire to being philosophically hard-boiled, but what sort of sick annoying puppy would strive for noir?

The former is a way of thinking, an attitude; the latter more a condition or atmosphere. Even in literature, hard-boiled generally refers to the attitudes of the narrator or author; the other more to the prevailing mood or tone.

But assuming one would want to "be" noir, what would a noir philosophy consist of? We're all fucked and we're all gonna die so the hell with everything? In practice, it would seem like pretentious, glib, and morally hollow cynicism, a quick cutting remark for everything and an answer for nothing.

Someone suggests to me (seriously) that they're "noir," I'd suggest putting 'em on suicide watch.

Or in protective custody. Imagine living with someone like that?

Kevin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM