RARA-AVIS: Re: Les romans de Gil Brewer

From: George Tuttle ( noirfiction@whoever.com)
Date: 15 Jul 2005

Thanks to Karin Montin! She e-mailed me about the Biblioth豵e Nationale de France (http://www.bnf.fr) and I found a wealth of information. I was trying to access this database through http://www.theeuropeanlibrary.org and had been failing to get as many hits (probably operator error). Direct access worked much better. Most of my questions, French-wise, are answered. I may still have some problems with the language. (I think the only reason why I did not fail French in college was because the professor had a crush on me.)

For those of you keeping score at home: L'ɣharpe Rouge (The Red Scarf), Pas de Boulettes! (Angel), A la Courte Paille (Three-Way Split), La Dame Est un Tr鳯r (Sugar), and Plus Morts Que Riches (So Rich, So Dead).

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "George Tuttle" <noirfiction@w...> wrote:
> I need information on all the various editions of novels by Gil Brewer
> for my comprehensive bibliography of this noir fiction writer. To get
> to my Gil Brewer webpage, go to http://noirfiction.info, click on the
> Gil Brewer link at the bottom. To get to my list of various editions,
> click the Novels button and then one of the Other Editions links.
>
> I've got a good start, but you will find many gaps. Let's take French
> editions, for example, at this point, I have 3 listed when it should
> be more like 8. I currently have entries for :
> Satan Est Une Femme (Satan Is A Woman) Gallimard, 1954, S鲩e Noire 199
> En Voiture Pour L'Enfer (Hell's Our Destination) Gallimard, 1957,
> S鲩e Noire 381
> M⴩n鳠De Zoulous (And the Girl Screamed) Gallimard, 1957, S鲩e
> Noire 386, Translation by: Pierre B駵in
>
> Before I add more entries I want to make certain that I attribute them
> to the right book. (yes, some are obvious but I would rather get a
> verification from someone who may have seen the book)
>
> Entries I need to add:
> La Machine A D飯udre (A Killer Is Loose) Gallimard, 1955, S鲩e
Noire 248