RARA-AVIS: Recent readings...

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jun 2005

Two more or less recent readings that I would like to recommend: the first is Blue Death, a Dan Fortune novel by Michael Collins -- one of the several Collinses I still hadn't read. The overall impression of this novel is very strong: an accurate portrait of people deformed in various degrees by a corporation. There is plenty of incident and suspense, but at heart it is a psychological novel with a social theme. Its character development did remind me of Ross Macdonald.

The second is Blood Solstice, by James Howard Kunstler, who would later turn out brilliant nonfiction books on the decay of the American landscape, such as The Geography of Nowhere and the very recent The Long Emergency. Blood Solstice tells the story of a weird religious cult and the newspaper reporter who follows their tracks. There is something very noir in the telling of this story. Long out of print, I think, but worth finding. I found it at a library sale, "withdrawn", alas.

Best,

MrT