Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent readings...

From: Dennis Lynds ( dennislynds@cox.net)
Date: 28 Jun 2005

Mr. T.

Glad you enjoyed BLUE DEATH. It was one of the few of mine to be picked up by a Book Club, maybe because it IS one of my books more like Ken's work. Ken started out in imitation of Chandler and evolved into his own style. I started with sort of a combination of Hammett-Chandler, seemed to move toward Ken, and then started to find my own voice somewhere around NIGHTRUNNERS, I'd say, and finally became my own with MINNESOTA STRIP--RED ROSA.

I believe it was Andre Gide who said, more or less, a writer must imitate when he or she starts or he will never find his own voice. (Although it can be overdone to the point of destroying his own talent.)

Besy,

Dennis-Michael