Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: About Deadwood

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 10 Jun 2005

Steve wrote:

"Unfortunately not many people seems (in the public at large and even in the film production and advertising world in which I work) to appreciate it and it¹s only the occasional friend or associate that will mention it¹s excellence and use readily the famous expletive as a sign of recognition..."

During the first season's original run, one of my Media & Society students did a final paper on Deadwood, mostly focused on the expletives, which he thought were pretty cool. Unfortunately, he actually claimed that those words did not even exist then, that they were being imposed retrospectively. Every generation seems to think they have invented the word fuck -- they are blown away when I play them excerpts from Jelly Roll Morton's Murder Ballad and Dirty Dozens.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM