RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to Vicki Hendricks, guest of honour

From: Max Gilbert ( jmaxgilbert@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Apr 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, vhend1234@a... wrote:
> I think I'm just happy to have both hardboiled and noir, with no
need to make
> a perfect dividing line.
> Are there any women who participate in this?
> Vicki

Hi and welcome. I've had MIAMI PURITY sitting on my shelf for a year now & this occassion has prompted me to read it (hopefully this weekend)--I'm looking forward to it.

As for female hardboiled writers, there are certainly fewer than the female noir writers, but a few come to mind: Leigh Brackett, Dorothy Hughes (her IN A LONELY PLACE would also make my list of top 10 noirs), Dolores Hitchens. And 2 of those have last names beginning in "H"--I'm not sure it's relevant but when I was thinking of my favorite noir writers a lot had names beginning in "W"--Charles Willeford (most anything), Charles Williams (especially THE HOT SPOT), Harry Whittington (any of the ones Black Lizard reprinted, which are all back in print from Disc-Us books), Daniel Woodrell
(again, most anything, but I especially liked THE DEATH OF SWEET MISTER), Donald Westlake (whenever he's not being funny) & Cornell Woolrich (who I can't believe no one mentioned--espec. BRIDE WORE BLACK, RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK, or I MARRIED A DEAD MAN). I'd second a lot of the other recommendations made here (Jim Thompson, David Goodis, Dan J. Marlowe, James M. Cain, Fredric Brown, Davis Grubb, Horace McCoy) and add a few like Gerald Kersh (NIGHT & THE CITY & PRELUDE TO A CERTAIN MIDNIGHT), William Gresham (NIGHTMARE ALLEY), Joel Townsley Rogers (THE RED RIGHT HAND), Bruno Fischer (THE LADY KILLS, QUOTH THE RAVEN, HOUSE OF FLESH) & GEORGE V. HIGGINS (FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, etc.). I'll leave off contemporary writers & those who seem more hardoiled than noir (e.g., Hammett, Ellroy).

Max

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM