Re: RARA-AVIS: Magdalen Martyrs

From: David Wright ( dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Mar 2005

Ditto me - I like it the same way I like Sallis. Here's my review for Booklist:

>From Booklist
*Starred Review* In his third case, Galwegian ex-cop Jack Taylor--The Guards (2002), The Killing of the Tinkers (2003--buries some old friends and enemies while meeting some intriguing new ones, thanks to the addition of pills to his coterie of demons (booze, cocaine, and books). This time Jack's progress toward self-destruction is slowed both by a desultory search for a fallen angel linked to a hellish Catholic laundry and by his probe into the black habits of a sexually voracious widow. The series' real draw, though, has never been the story lines; rather, it's the eclectic, lyrical screeds pouring forth from the narrator's ruined heart. Some readers may balk at Taylor's constant literary references (in the midst of a beating, he descants on Henry Green, a
"writers' writer's writer"), but these allusions are fueled by the same hard spiritual and physical thirst for sublimity that make him such a compelling existential antihero, not to mention a handy readers' advisor. Suffice it to say that fans of Roddy Doyle, James Sallis, Samuel Beckett, Irvine Welsh, Frederick Exley, Patrick McCabe, George Pelecanos, Ian Rankin, and Chuck Palahniuk will all find something to like, love, or obsess over in this stiff shot of evil chased with heartbreaking irony. Highly recommended. David Wright

--- Charlie Stella < CharlieOpera@aol.com> wrote:

> What was missed? I'm thinking everything ... I
> just reviewed it on
> my webpage http://www.charliestella.com/knucks/
>
> To each his own, brother ...

David Wright - Seattle Public Library Fiction Dept.

"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."
                 -G.K. Chesterton

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM