RARA-AVIS: Re: Lawrence Block on Late Late Show

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Mar 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Evankovich"
<briane1911a1@h...> wrote:
> Who caught Block on the Late Late Show this morning? He was okay.
Kind of
> mousy looking. On his book jackets he looks like this strapping six-
footer
> but that isn't the case (at least he ditched that awful black beret
he wore
> on the jackets a few years back). He told a couple of funny stories
and
> plugged the new book. Overall it was fun to watch. Craig Ferguson,
the host,
> made no secret that he was a fan, and gushed appropriately, so that
was a
> nice touch.

I may be wrong, but in my one face-to-face meeting with Block a decade or so back, I remember him being a bit under six feet. He didn't face the audience much, thus the camera got a lot of his profile, but he wouldn't let his storytelling get derailed (as he detailed his straitened circumstances when he began writing the Rhodenbarr novels, among other things). Both Ferguson and Block noted how infrequently novelists (who are not also actors) pop up on late night network television (at least, fewer these days in absence of Dick Cavett, Tom Snyder, and all...not that there were ever very many). The last time I'm sure I saw Block on television was on HARPER'S editor Lewis Lapham's excellent turn-of-the-'90s series BOOKMARK, syndicated to public stations.

FWIW, comedy troupe the Hollow Men's sketch which finished the show was also somewhat bootlessly hardboiled.

TM

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM