RARA-AVIS: Re: No Orchids

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Jan 2005

Re the recent comments on NO ORCHIDS and SANCTUARY, including Juri's below:

> As for genre literature, [NO ORCHID has] had
> more affect on other writers than Faulkner's "Sanctuary" from
> which it borrows heavily.

Having not read either book, I'm wondering whether it's possible that Chase was not deliberately ripping off Faulkner. SANCTUARY was supposed to have been loosely based on a real-life kidnapping case. Is it possible that Chase simply heard about the same case and based his own novel on it, independent of Faulkner's already having done so?

JIM DOHERTY