Re: RARA-AVIS: Macdonald, Hammet, Chandler, Compassion, et al

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 01 Dec 2004

> One scene form DRAW THE CURTAIN CLOSE that I recall
> vividly, coincidentally enough given the recent
> discussion of Spillane, is toward the end, when the
> villain has barricaded himself in a building, and Mac,
> enraged that his closest friend, the Chicago police
> lieutenant who's been sort of a second father, has
> been killed by the villain (actually he's only wounded
> but Mac doesn't know that), rushes in after him to
> take him alone, saying to the girl in the case
> something along the lines of "I have to. He killed
> Donovan."
>
> Even compassionate PI's have those vengeful impulses
> every now and then.
>
> Is that the same book?
>
> JIM DOHERTY

That doesn't sound familiar, but it's been a long time since I read DRAW THE CURTAIN CLOSE, if ever. I just need to start reading some Dewey novels again. Bill Crider mentioned Dewey's "Cord Wainer" pseudonym. I have one of his books published under the name "Tom Brandt", which makes me assume that Brandt was likely his middle name.

James Reasoner

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM