Re: RARA-AVIS: Macdonald, Hammet, Chandler, Compassion, et al

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Dec 2004

Jim R,

Re your question below:

> Jim, since you've read DRAW THE CURTAIN CLOSE, do
> you recall if the plot
> centers around the kidnapping of a young boy? If it
> does, then I've read it
> and remember it being an excellent novel.

I think so, but it's been a few years, and the kidnapping, or threatened kidnapping, of children is frequent plot device in the Mac series. It also happens in EVERY BET'S A SURE THING and THE CASE OF THE CHASTE AND UNCHASTED (or was it CHASED AND UNCHASED?).

One scene form DRAW THE CURTAIN CLOSE that I recall vividly, coincidentally enough given the recent discussion of Spillane, is toward the end, when the villain has barricaded himself in a building, and Mac, enraged that his closest friend, the Chicago police lieutenant who's been sort of a second father, has been killed by the villain (actually he's only wounded but Mac doesn't know that), rushes in after him to take him alone, saying to the girl in the case something along the lines of "I have to. He killed Donovan."

Even compassionate PI's have those vengeful impulses every now and then.

Is that the same book?

JIM DOHERTY