Re: RARA-AVIS: Macdonald, Gatsby, etc.

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Dec 2004

Mark Coggins < coggins@immortalgame.com> wrote:

<< Fortunately, I think Fred has got it right. There's a sympathy or understanding about the human condition that I don't see in the other writers' work. We don't even have to call it compassion; we can call it empathy. I don't think Hammett or Chandler have much empathy for the people who do wrong in their books. Macdonald does.

Another way to think about it is Macdonald is more concerned about motivations and causation than the other two are. And, typically, the causations in his books have to do with family history, or, more properly, family karma. And if you read the Nolan biography, you might conclude the empathy came from personal experience.

  Very well put, Mark. I think much of what you say was behind what I was trying to say yesterday, and that compassion and empathy is what one finds in James Sallis' work. There's the link I was feeling in my gut yesterday between MacDonald and Sallis.
- Duane