RARA-AVIS: Thanks/Doherty

From: crimeflix ( jmks100@aol.com)
Date: 24 Aug 2004

John and Mike--Thanks! It's great to be here...I love Miami Purity, and Vicki's latest, Voluntary Madness...

You explain your points on noir and hardboiled fiction excellently, and I'm glad I'm not on your panel at Bouchercon--you'd probably kick my ass in a debate!...I think a lot of this is subjective--noir and hardboiled mean different things to each of us, so trying to pinpoint and exact, universal definition is difficult, if not impossible. But, for me, your definitions are just a bit too broad. I think "dark and sinister" is a terrific way to sum up the atmosphere, and even plots, in a lot of noir fiction, but it doesn't speak enough about noir characters. You talk about the French origins of the genre, but this is exactly my point--noir started with the French, but then as it spread back to the United States and the rest of the world it became something else--something more specific. To my American sensibility, I can't accept a definition of noir that includes traditional detective fiction. I think you can say that Marlowe, Spade, Archer, etc. operate in "a noir world", but they are not noir characters. Since "character" is a defining characteristic of what I think of as noir, I can only include writers such as Thompson, Cain, Goodis etc as full blown purveyors of noir.....But I know you've discussed this issue at length already. Tell you what--I'll try to come to your panel at B-con and we can duke it out there. Deal? Jason http://www.jasonstarr.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM