Re: RARA-AVIS: Out of the Past

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2004

miker, there's a great post on OUT OF THE PAST here:

http://blogs.salon.com/0003139/2004/07/13.html#a531

and another one here:

http://vincekeenan.com/

and here's Roger Ebert's take:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies/outofthepast.html

Here's a key paragraph from Ebert: But the critic Jeff Schwager read all versions of the screenplay for a 1990 Film Comment article, and writes me:
"Mainwaring's script was not very good, and in one draft featured awful voice-over narration by the deaf-mute. Cain's script was a total rewrite and even worse; it was totally discarded. The great dialogue was actually the work of Frank Fenton, a B-movie writer whose best known credit was John Ford's 'Wings of Eagles.'"

Bill Crider

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Robison" < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 11:23 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Out of the Past