RARA-AVIS: Kem Nunn

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 04 Aug 2004

The great Kem Nunn has a new book out - his first in seven years (and I know what that feels like).

TIJUANA STRAITS is the story of Fahey, ex-con, ex-surfer, running a worm farm near the border between Mexico and California. He rescues Magdalena from a pack of wild dogs on the beach. She is an activist who is fighting the maquilladoras (Mexico's foreign owned factories who pollute the land and exploit the workers) and is on the run from a group of killers who are some of the most terrifying inventions in crime fiction I have read in a long time. Terrifying and completely, 100% believable. I've seen these guys down there. And so, obviously, has Nunn.

Talk about "location as character"! Nunn has the toxic landscape of Tijuana down cold. He captures the squalor and hopelessness of the place with relentless beauty. Man, I love this guy's writing! I just wish it didn't take him so long between books. He's on tour this month. Catch him if you can.

TL