RARA-AVIS: "Still life" cover art

From: Jesse Willis ( jessewillis@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 May 2004

I was wondering if anyone knew a little about the
"still life" photgraph cover art for paperbacks that was so popular in th 1970s and 1980s - I'm refering to the cover art that featured a collection of objects found or used in the novel.

This site:

http://www.artofjamesbond.com/paperbacks2.htm

talks a little about, and shows, some of the James Bond series, that used them, but I was wondering if there was some hardboiled, crime, noir, or P.I. novels with these kinds of covers?

Anybody know who started the trend (publisher, artist, etc.), why it stopped or a good source for the history of that style of cover?

Just curious.

===== SFFAudio: http://www.sffaudio.com Table Treasures & Gifts: http://stores.ebay.com/id=4920689