RARA-AVIS: Canadian true crime pulps

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 06 May 2004

I picked up an interesting book today: TRUE CRIME, TRUE NORTH: THE GOLDEN AGE OF CANADIAN PULP MAGAZINES, by Carolyn Strange and Tina Loo
(Vancouver: Raincoast, 2004). It's about true crime pulps from the 1940s and 1950s. I don't know anything about them (yet), but they've been discussed here as a place to find hardboiled nonfiction, which is a fairly rare bird.

The book's about 7" x 10", and short at just over 100 pages. The bibliography mentions Lee Server's DANGER IS MY BUSINESS and Eddie Muller's DARK CITY DAMES. There are illustrations on almost every page, and lots of cover reproductions.

Any of you an afficionado of old true crime pulps? What's the writing like? I know Jim Thompson did some work in them, but I've never read any of it.

Bill