Re: RARA-AVIS: yakuza

From: David Moran ( davidm@shakespeare-nyc.com)
Date: 20 May 2004

One thing to check out is Mark Schilling's "Yakuza Movie Book." I think it's still in print. ISBN 1-880656-76-0. Should be able to find it on Amazon just by punching the ISBN into the search field, sans hyphens. About the best resource your're likely to find in the U.S.

In a more historical vein, there's the immaculately researched "Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld" by David Kaplan (0-520-21562-1), now in its second edition from U. of California. A bit of a slow read for the first hundred pages, but gets pretty spellbinding after that. The book also reads a lot like political history, if you're into that sort of thing, because (even though you don't see it in the movies) the Yakuza is traditionally involved far more in the Japanese political process than our mafia ever has been. While most American mafias just want to make money, Japanese Yakuza, for the most part, actually have political goals, and Japan's far fringe right-wing groups--the ultranationalists who want Japan to have a standing army again and to expel the U.S. from Japan's borders (among other things)--are almost all Yakuza groups or groups with heavy Yakuza ties.

The big wave of Yakuza movies was in the 60s and 70s, before Japan's opinion of the Yakuza changed. They used to have a much more forgiving attitude towards them, and you could even find Yakuza gangs explicitly advertising in the phone book, or putting up signs outside their meeting places effectively saying "YAKUZA GANG HEADQUARTERS". Pretty brazen, but that's because some Japanese turned a blind eye and some Japanese romanticized them as the dark, violent heroes of the Yakuza pics. But these days, the Japanese police is taking a much more aggressive stance towards organized crime, and the Yakuza's public image isn't what it used to be...so people aren't so much interested in seeing heroic Yakuza anti-heroes on the big screen.

David Moran