Re: RARA-AVIS: The Simple Art of Murder

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 15 Mar 2004

miker wrote:

"The whole of the essay is personal emotional baggage poorly disguised as literary commentary."

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that criticism is really just the rationalization of gut responses. Yes, those gut responses are often built on all of the previous reading we've done, including critical. However, even our reading choices were based on previous gut responses, to recommendations, reviews, track records, even book covers. So it becomes a nice little circle as we try to find new books that satisfy in the same way favorite earlier ones did.

Mark