Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hansen & Glosvik

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Feb 2004

Geir wrote:

"I didn't even think about it till I read your post. I have close friends who are homos (is that better?), . . "

>From a US point of view, not much better. Currently (these things
change -- think about what the C in NAACP stands for), the more acceptable terms are gay or homosexual (queer seems to depend upon where and how it is used -- it seems to be okay for TV titles).

". . . and they don't care at all what you call them as long as you respect them. I do."

Ultimately, of course, that's what counts. And it also matters who says it to whom -- a straight may be able to say one of the currently derogatory terms to a gay friend who knows his true sentiments, but not to a stranger, who has no personal context. It's very similar to the rules about who can and cannot say the "N" word to whom and under what circumstances.

Mark