Re: RARA-AVIS: European valuations of genre fiction

From: David Moran ( davidm@shakespeare-nyc.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2004

J.A. Cuddon, in his "Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory" (great bathroom reading!), makes a good point about this. Brit & Euro critics are generally more welcoming of genre fiction than their American counterparts, but it only goes so far. "In Britain, P.D. James is thought fit to chair the judges' committee for the Booker Prize, yet it remains inconceivable that one of her own superb crime novels could win it." (quoted from memory, so it might not be 100% accurate, but close enough)

Incidentally, I've always thought that Chandler (no offense to your doctoral thesis--I'm sure it's stellar) was always kind of a poor example of the potential literariness of the genre. I used to adore Chandler myself, until I made the mistake of taking a graduate seminar exclusively about him. When I really looked at him that closely, I discovered, much to my teacher's dismay, how much I truly loathed him, how tedious he now seemed to me (it'd been almost a decade since I'd read anything of his).

"The Lady in the Lake" is indeed my favorite Chandler, though. I think that one still holds up quite well. Rotten movie, though. A nice experiment, but a rotten movie.

David Moran