Re: RARA-AVIS: European valuations of genre fiction

From: Marc Seals ( mseals@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2004

From: "David Moran" < davidm@shakespeare-nyc.com>

> "The Lady in the Lake" is indeed my favorite Chandler, though.
> I think that one still holds up quite well.

Hmm. Though I disagree (obviously) with David's overall valuation of Chandler's literary worth, I thought I'd put in my two cents regarding his best novels.

My favorites, in order: 1. The Long Goodbye 2. The Big Sleep 3. Farewell, My Lovely 4. The Lady in the Lake

The other three are fun reading, but I'd not submit them as evidence that the genre can rise to the level of literture, whatever that means. I've taught the first two several times (in undergraduate courses). Nearly every student comes away a fan.

David, who taught that graduate seminar?