RARA-AVIS: On Hemingway -- Don't Blame Miles

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Dec 2003

Miker asked:

<Was this you, Miles?:

<<<Hemingway wrote the same romance over and over, but without the happy ending. Even "The old man and the sea" is a love story on several levels.>>>

Nope, not Miles. Me. Miles just quoted me.

Perhaps not the *same* romance over and over but even romance in "The Short Happy Life." We can argue that one, I'm sure.

Anoother observation, but when Hemingway was young, his heroines were older. As he grew older, they were younger. His heroes aged, but they didn't mature. In many ways, Jake Barnes is the most mature of all of his characters.

I'm not criticizing Hemingway for it. It's just an observation.

Hemingway was a man of his time, with the same attitude toward women as most men of his time. So I don't think he deserves the barbs that he gets from feminists.

Yes, I am guilty in calling Hemingway a Romance writer. I have been trampled by women for making that comment publicly.

Miker your defense of my choie of words "the same love story" was well done.

As for his work being about "Grace under pressure?" It's the first time I've seen that in a long time, but it was real big about thirty years ago. It probably came from Carlos Baker's biography of Hemingway.

I think if being fatalistic is having grace under pressure, then maybe he has that.

If not for Hemingway, I would never have dreamed about being a writer. When I was younger, he was a god.

Now, he is pretty good.

About a year ago, you talked about "To Have and Have Not." Now there is a noir story. The movie is something totally, and I mean *totally* different from the book.

Anyhow. Don't blame Miles.

I confess.

Jack

===== UPDATED 11/18/03 http://JackBludis.com