RARA-AVIS: One Dame's Comment (Plus A Few Recommendations)

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 28 Nov 2003

-----Original Message----- From: Joy Matkowski < jmatkowski1@comcast.net> Sent: Nov 28, 2003 12:57 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: hardboiled science fiction

" [...] I don't like science fiction because it's so unrealistic"

As a downwardly-mobile dame called Blanche Du Bois once phrased it,

"I don't want realism, I want -- magic!"

"Maybe an HBSF month--in January, when I plan to have lots of gift certificates?--can do the same. Would anybody knowledgeable like to volunteer?"

William Gibson (*not* the "Miracle Worker" writer), Bruce Sterling, and K.W. Jeter are always worth seeking out.

Philip K. Dick's " 'Flow My Tears,' The Policeman Said" is one I've got a fondness for.
  For a touch of silliness, too, you might try a nice little PI parody by William F. Nolan called "Space For Hire" (the investigator being, of course, named Space).

c.