RARA-AVIS: Got Milk?

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 08 Sep 2003

Ed wrote:

>This milk-drinking detective sounds vaguely familiar to me. I
>mean it's been spoofed before, sure, but I remember it from a
>b&w movie of more serious intent. Was this Guthrie Lamb PI put
>on the silver screen?

Not that I know of. You're probably thinking of Geoffrey Homes' HUMPHREY CAMPBELL, another milk-drinking eye, who appeared in NO HANDS ON THE CLOCK (1941, Paramount) and CRIME BY NIGHT (1944, Warner Brothers), as well as five novels. If you actually saw these films, you're one (or two) up on me.

We get the Mystery Channel, but all they show are Mike Hammer reruns, mostly (and NOBODY'S THAT BIG a Stacey Keach fan). Maybe one day the Campbell flicks will show up on Turner Movies or something.

>Might Kevin have it on his PI pages at THRILLING DETECTIVE?

He might, but who knows? He can be awful temperamental at times...

--

Kevin Burton Smith Got game? The Thrilling Detective P.I. Trivia Challenge is waiting. http://www.thrillingdetective.com -- # Plain ASCII text only, please. Anything else won't show up. # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .