Re: RARA-AVIS: Top 10 Noir Films

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2003

Brian wrote:

"For my way of thinking, it's the first-rate script and the ensemble cast who make this one of the greatest films of all time. Roman Polanksi got lucky. All he had to do was sit back and make sure the cameras were rolling."

And rewrite the script.

I would even argue that it was his changes that made it so first-rate
(not being specific about what had once happened to Gittes in Chinatown; and radically changing the ending). And I'm not sure Robert Towne would disagree. Although he was strongly against those changes at the time, he later came to claim that Polanski may have been his best collaborator ever. The changes did not stop Towne from accepting an Academy Award for the screenplay or publishing the changed, shooting script under his name.

I do very much agree with you about how good this, my favorite movie is.

Mark