Re: RARA-AVIS: Brackett & cross genre influences

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mario Taboada" < matrxtech@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 5:24 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Brackett & cross genre influences

> Burroughs is always worth reading. What he lacked in
> subtlety (everything) he made up in force and momentum. I
> find him compulsively readable. Not that long ago, I read
> an essay by Vidal in which he echoes these marvellous
> insights of mine.
>
> Since we are monthless, how about a Max Brand month? He was
> hardboiled, he wrote tons of books and stories, and, at
> least in the US, his stuff is easily available. Especially
> his westerns.

Max Brand's style can be pretty old-fashioned, but he was also a great storyteller. Some of his mysteries, like SEVEN FACES, have been reprinted fairly recently in large print editions and might not be too hard to find, especially in libraries that have good large print sections.

> Did he farm out? Just asking.

I've never heard anything about him farming out any of his books. He was such a fast writer (14 pages a day, day in and day out, from what I've read), I doubt if he ever needed to. And it just doesn't seem like something he would do, given his personality.

James