RARA-AVIS: Old, New, Borrowed, Blue...

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 25 Aug 2003

Mario wrote:

>I hope we understand one another now. What I have said is
>the truth.

As long as you get Jim's certification, of course. :-)

Anyway, Mario, I wasn't so much disagreeing with you as using your comments as a springboard to thinking out loud. And we're we're pretty much in agreement when it comes to the disdain we feel for the current bloating of the hard-boiled novel, and evidently, the over-glorification of the past.

One of the frustrations I do have with the genre is those who claim to love it, but have only read from one era, a group you certainly don't fall into.

And some of them seem to have not read from any era. One so-called expert once wrote a top ten list that of the best hard-boiled novels of all time that consisted primarily of a) books that had already been made into film or b) self-published books by friends of his. I wonder if he's read anything, beyond a TV guide.

It's actually one of the things I do enjoy about the genre -- the push and pull of the old and the new, and the permutations the formula goes through in the hands of often very excellent writers.

Oh, by the way, Jim, welcome to the very exclusive "Legend in Your Own Mind" Club. Having been similarly designated such by Chairman Pipsqueak numerous times over the years, I know the deep pain you must be feeling now. Perhaps you can draw consolation from this: you can be a legend in my mind if I can be a legend in yours.