Re: RARA-AVIS: Movie Adaptations & "THE LONG GOODBYE (1973)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 23 Aug 2003

Bill D asked:

"Does anyone know if Chandler mentions Brackett in his letters, or if she talks about meeting him, or how well they knew each other back in the '40s and '50s? They must have met when Chandler was in Hollywood."

The only mention of Brackett in the two volumes of Chandler's letters I own was a passing reference to her as the "girl" who wrote the screenplay of The Big Sleep (about which he said, "'Twill do").

In Jon Tuska's The Detective in Hollywood, Brackett is quoted as saying,
"I met Chandler only once." She does not elaborate.

Mark