Re: RARA-AVIS: Movie Adaptations & "THE LONG GOODBYE (1973)

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 21 Aug 2003

On 21 August 2003, chrisaschneider@earthlink.net wrote:

: You and Terrill and Mario are forgetting an important name here: Leigh
: Brackett, who wrote the "Long Goodbye" screenplay. And, before you
: start placing a black hat on Altman and a white hat on her 'cause
: Brackett wrote her own HB, let me add that an interview I read with
: Brackett made it clear the ending of the 1973 "Long Goodbye" reflected
: *her own* attitude toward the Marlowe character.

Does anyone know if Chandler mentions Brackett in his letters, or if she talks about meeting him, or how well they knew each other back in the '40s and '50s? They must have met when Chandler was in Hollywood.

Bill