Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: MAN BITES DOG (was Re: Straw Dogs)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 28 Jun 2003

Etienne wrote:

""Man Bites Dog" (1992) is a *Belgian* film with most of the actors being Belgians."

Oops, sorry about that (I had miscredited the film's nationality in my earlier post).

"Heavy black humor and strong social derision make it closer to surrealism and modern anarchism views than elitism or even artysm."

Even though I'm a fan of HK cop films (though certainly wouldn't describe many of them as noir), I did not mean to imply that I thought Man Bites Dog was elitist or arty. On the contrary, I think it is easily understood, though not as easily watched (not that it should be, it's got to show some vile stuff to make its point). I was trying to say that the people who oversee the UK's video releases were elitist and made arbitrary decisions about what could be released based on what they considered trappings of art, such as b & w and/or subtitles, which they thought would keep the simple masses from watching and emulating it.

Mark