Re: RARA-AVIS: Dead Low Tide--JDM

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 28 Jun 2003

Pat wrote:

"I just read Cape Fear and had exactly the same reaction. In MNSHO the protagonist was a bumbling fool. I was never convinced that he risked his family because of some high moral respect for the law."

I finally picked up The Executioners after the recent praise for it in comparison to the movies, which I like. I must admit that I agree with Pat. I'm struggling with it. Frankly, I'd rather the story had been told from Cady's perspective. I lose interest once he is out of the picture. I was pretty much bored by the picture of happy family life before he came along. The plot doesn't move that fast in the first place, but is stopped cold whenever Bowden has one of his moral debates. I will finish it, but I keep setting it aside to read other things. If this is among the best of his non-series work, I think I might stick with Travis.

Mark