Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Kent Harrington

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 07 May 2003

William Denton wrote:
> I looked through the archives and Mr. Lankford, five years ago, gave a
> great review of DIA DE LOS MUERTOS (1997). Mr. Taboada liked it and said
> DARK RIDE (1996) was a must read. Harrington's been talked about a few
> times since then, not much, but always ranked highly. I'm going to get
> more of his stuff. DIA DE LOS MUERTOS is febrile insanity. It's about
> Vincent Calhoun, a DEA agent who started smuggling immigrants into
> California from Tijuana. Most of the book takes place on the Day of the
> Dead, from early in the morning to late at night, and it's the worst
> goddamned day you can imagine. I won't give much away if I tell you one
> scene takes place while Calhoun, pumped to almost exploding on horse
> uppers, bleeding from his eyes and ears, pushes a five-hundred pound man
> through the worst neighbourhood in Tijuana on a refrigerator dolly.

*********** Darn, Bill. That does sound interesting. It seems like going south is a signal to jack up the intensity. Lansdale's RUMBLE TUMBLE snuck across the border, and so did one of Connelly's Bosch books. I can't remember too many others that had scenes in Mexico. Ah! THE BLACK DAHLIA, too.

Since it's the earliest one you mention, I'm putting Harrington's DARK RIDE on my list.

miker