RARA-AVIS: Re: Kent Harrington

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 06 May 2003

I looked through the archives and Mr. Lankford, five years ago, gave a great review of DIA DE LOS MUERTOS (1997). Mr. Taboada liked it and said DARK RIDE (1996) was a must read. Harrington's been talked about a few times since then, not much, but always ranked highly. I'm going to get more of his stuff. DIA DE LOS MUERTOS is febrile insanity. It's about Vincent Calhoun, a DEA agent who started smuggling immigrants into California from Tijuana. Most of the book takes place on the Day of the Dead, from early in the morning to late at night, and it's the worst goddamned day you can imagine. I won't give much away if I tell you one scene takes place while Calhoun, pumped to almost exploding on horse uppers, bleeding from his eyes and ears, pushes a five-hundred pound man through the worst neighbourhood in Tijuana on a refrigerator dolly.

This was a great way to start off my 1990s reading.

Bill