Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Themes of the month - hb (again)

From: Joe Dante ( joe_dante@flashmail.com)
Date: 01 May 2003

At 5/1/2003 04:34 PM, Michael Robison wrote:
>However, I'm not sure if Vachss has quit his day job, so the financial
>rewards are questionable.

Actually it's the writing that finances Vachss' "day job." He's said in numerous interviews that the money he earns from his books is what enables him to continue his representation of abused and neglected children in court proceedings. I know here in NY state there's an outcry over the pittance that court appointed lawyers are paid, and I think Law Guardians for children are paid even less. Before he started making money off the books he practiced criminal defense part-time to fund his law practice.

Speaking of lawyers who write (or maybe writers who lawyer?) ... has anybody heard of Robert K. Tannenbaum making any public response to the story of *all* his books being written by someone else (Michael Gruber)?

Joe D.