RARA-AVIS: Fear no Cape

From: Bill Bowers ( BBowers@one.net)
Date: 26 Apr 2003

<-----------Original Message----------->
>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:47:36 -0400
>From: "Michael Robison" < zspider@gte.net>
>Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: capers and/or cons: Cape Fear
>
>I got one that's based on a book! Watched Robert Mitchum and Gregory
>Peck in Cape Fear last night. Great movie. Intense. Mitchum is a great
>bad guy. Who else could smirk like him? I saw the later version with Nick
>Nolte a long time ago, and it was interesting to see that they copied the
>original movie with a houseboat ending. I thought that both the movie
>endings were better than the book's. I liked JDM's CAPE FEAR except
>the ending. I thought it was a bit of a letdown, which surprised me after
>the heart-pounding ending to THE DEEP BLUE GOODBYE.
>
>miker

To totally nitpick, JDM never wrote a book titled "Cape Fear".

Rather his "The Executioners" was re-titled after the initial (best) movie was made, as publishers delight in doing.

Can't lay hands on my copy of "The Red-Hot Typewriter" at this moment, but, iirc, "The Executioners" was the result of a bet that JDM had with McKinley Kantor: That he (JDM) couldn't write a "mainstream bestseller" in less than thirty days....

I don't know if Kantor paid up, but I'd say JDM won that particular wager...

--
Bill Bowers