Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard Boiled Pulitzer

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 14 Apr 2003

Terrill Lankford wrote:
> The great Hard Boiled novelist Stephen Hunter has received a Pulitzer
prize
> for his film criticism, which runs in the Washington Post. This is the
first
> time that award has been given to a film journalist since 1975.
>
> Nice to see one of the Dirty White Boys make good!

************** That is good to hear. I haven't read any of his articles on film but I've certainly enjoyed the two novels I've read by him. I know that Swagger is a great hillbilly asskicker good guy, but maybe it's a sign of my growing addiction to noir that my favorite character so far has been THE dirty white boy. Hmm... sorry I can't remember his name. Is it Lamar? I haven't forgotten his fight with the big badass inmate in the shower, or the great Denny's robbery and shoot out, or his homicidal lil honey. A fine piece of fiction.

I don't like to go off-topic but those who share my love for overdone movies like Apocalypse Now might enjoy Val Kilmer in The Salton Sea. Very, very noirish. I loved it. Good setting. Desperate characters. Lost characters. Evil characters. There's even a badger in the movie. One that hasn't eaten for five days.

miker