RE: RARA-AVIS: "Criminal Conversation" in the PARIS REVIEW Crime issue, #164

From: Dave ( davezelt@attbi.com)
Date: 28 Mar 2003

That quote from Elmore Leonard is too bad. I haven't read anything of his that comes close to the Maltese Falcon or even the better Continental Op stories.

-Dave

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] On Behalf Of Robison Michael R CNIN Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 4:04 PM To: ' rara-avis@icomm.ca' Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: "Criminal Conversation" in the PARIS REVIEW Crime issue, #164

Todd quoted this:

Evan Hunter: I came to Chandler when I was very young and loved him, of course, but I loved him for the very things I learned not to like later on. Sentimentality about the city, sexy women sliding toward you [wonder if he meant to say sidling, or perhaps did and was mistranscribed].--all this stuff would appeal to an adolescent. Late on when I began to reread him to see what had so captivated me, I really found a great many flaws in the writing.

Elmore Leonard: I agree with Evan. I didn't learn anything at all from Chandler, or from Dashiell Hammett.