RARA-AVIS: P.I. Clients

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 13 Mar 2003

I'm enjoying 70s month and have read the first Spenser book (The Godwulf Manuscript) the first Scudder (Sins of the Father) and two of Elmore Leonard's Detroit novels (Swag and The Switch). I'm anxious to re-read The Last Good Kiss and still hope to tackle Vern E. Smith's The Jones Men.

Beware, potential spoilers ahead:

Has the tradition of detectives having untrustworthy clients been discussed round these parts? It's been interesting and fun to see this as a constant in every decade. When clients enter the office, the red flag goes up that they are probably not as they appear. My favorite examples of this come from The Long Goodbye, The Last Good Kiss and The Black Dahlia (though this isn't a PI case), but there are many, many other examples. Can any of our Black Mask experts discuss this further? Thanks.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail