RARA-AVIS: WISE BLOOD, Flannery O'Connor 1952

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 13 Mar 2003

Got kinda interested in the Southern Gothic so I read O'Connor's WISE BLOOD and her short story "A Good Man is Hard to Find." Great stuff. I'm becoming more impressed with Southern Gothic the more I read of it. Although there are definite traits that mark Southern Gothic, it doesn't seem to unnaturally constrain it, and plots vary quite a bit and the secondary themes are significant and meaningful.

Flannery O'Connor tacks a religious salvation-through-sin theme onto WISE BLOOD, and it's got just a bit of an artsy-fartsy flair to it, but not enough to sour me on her writing.

A Woodrell novel came in the mail while I was up in Chicago again. Something about a kiss. I think I'll read it next. WAHOOO!

miker