RE: RARA-AVIS: THE PULP JUNGLE (1967)

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 14 Feb 2003

I haven't actually read much of Gruber's fiction. I have SIMON LASH, but I've never even looked inside the covers. I also have THE GIFT HORSE and THE FRENCH KEY. I should try those one of these days.

Gruber's attitude toward his writing is interesting and instructive. There are plenty of writers who take themselves adn their work very seriously, and those are the ones who seem to make a name for themselves. Then there are others, like Gruber, who just love writing and are happy to make a little money at it, doing whatever comes to hand. I think I'm in that category. I think I'd have enjoyed writing for the pulps.

Bill Crider