RE: RARA-AVIS: The Red Menace

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 24 Jan 2003

Ed Lynskey wrote: Did the 1950s readers just want to put WW2 behind them, and authors didn't dwell on war events?

********* In the big picture this is sort of a recurring theme here, isn't it? I'm talking about hardboiled literature seemingly ignoring (or at least not dwelling on) contem- porary traumatic historical occurences. Although a lot of noir revelled in the Great Depression, I think at least one rara-avis member (Bill Denton?) noted that a significant amount of hardboiled from the period avoided the topic, and probably because a big reason for reading it was escapist-oriented.

miker