RE: RARA-AVIS: Italian noir: Carlotto

From: fedgioia@tin.it
Date: 24 Jan 2003

I wholly share Luca's advice as to Scerbanenco being the father of the Italian noir and a must for lovers of the genre (I would be interested in knowing in which languages he was translated, if any). Other authors worth mentioning, in my opinion, are some contemporary writers: namely, Massimo Carlotto; Santo Piazzese; Carlo Lucarelli. Carlotto began his career as an author by writing the chronique of the grotesque adventure he experienced due to some peculiarities of Italian criminal procedure: being accused of committing a murder he was innocent of, he left Italy and wandered around for some time, until all the legal means for him to protest his innocence in court were expired. Back to Italy, he was imprisoned and eventually freed upon an ad hoc grace decree by the President of the Republic, as the only way to avoid an enormous judicial mistake. This experience inspired him some novels, most set in rich but morally dubious North East of Italy, featuring a detective, nicknamed "the Alligator", whom most see as Carlotto's alter ego and who investigates off the official tracks (too much of a cynical to trust any thereof) but within the boundaries of a moral of his own. It is his background I think which makes him a very peculiar writer. The other two, Lucarelli and Piazzese, are interesting also. Federica Gioia