Re: RARA-AVIS: Estleman on Ridley's The Drift

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@att.net)
Date: 01 Jan 2003

From: "Rene Ribic" < rribic@optusnet.com.au>
> Actually, I've seen U-Turn (on TV) & thought it was OK - and I'm not at
> all an Oliver Stone fan. I remember thinking how much like an updated
> Gold Medal novel it seemed but I had no idea it was based on a novel. It
> looks like Ridley is someone else to check out. Has anyone here read
> this talented Mr Ridley's works? Whatcha think?

I think Ridley is a tremendously underrated author and deserves a reading by everyone on this list, if only to give yourself a treat for the new year. While I've not read CONVERSATION WITH THE MANN, which is less in the Goodis/Gold Medal strain than his others, I've been very pleased with each of his other works (STRAY DOGS and LOVE IS A RACKET being my two favorite) -- and the one in question, THE DRIFT (which I finished a few weeks ago) is certainly no exception. And to put the novel in a more frightening context, keep in mind what Mr. Ridley explained at a recent DRIFT signing I attended: that the violent train gangs he describes are in fact NOT fiction, but actually exist...and in multitude.

Ron Clinton