RARA-AVIS: Chandler & Chase

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 14 Dec 2002

In a message dated 12/14/02 3:09:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca writes:

<<
 Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:57:32 -0000
 From: "Al Guthrie" < allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk>
 Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's Influence

 - ----- Original Message -----
 From: "JIM DOHERTY" < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com>

> What I CAN say is that,
> post-Chandler, the idea of a the hard-boiled PI being
> an American who worked out of (if not always in) a
> large American city became so iron-clad an ingredient
> of the PI novel that even writers who'd never set foot
> in the US, like James Hadley Chase, wrote about
> American private eyes in American cities, and
> characters like Jo Gar, who weren't particularly
> numerous to begin with, became even more rare.

 Chase was known to have visited both Miami and New Orleans. To claim that
 he never set foot in the US is inaccurate.

 Of his 80 or so novels, less than ten percent feature PIs. He's known as a
 thriller writer, not as a PI writer.

 However, given that he did write a few PI novels, let's look at his most
 famous. Featuring PI, Dave Fenner, NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH was written
 in 1938 and published the following year. THE BIG SLEEP was also published
 in 1939. I find it hard to see how the large American city setting element
 of the Marlowe Paradigm (or any other element) established by THE BIG SLEEP,
 could have influenced Chase when neither he, nor anyone else, had read it.

I can't say whether Chase read THE BIG SLEEP before he wrote ORCHIDS and you are right that they were published in the same year. I will point out that big hunks of THE BIG SLEEP were published as novelettes in US magazines prior to 1939 and in plenty of time for Chase to have read them. As a writer who proved to be quite a "fan" of Chandler, Hammett and Latimer, Chase (or Rene Raymond to give his real name) had incentive to seek them out.

I put the "fan" in quotes as while we may not be able to say Raymond was influenced by Chandler, we can say he stole from him and admitted to this plagiarism in a letter to "The Bookseller" magazine in the UK and promised to refrain from future plagiarims as well as to pay all legal costs. The novel in question was BLONDE'S REQUIEM published by Raymond under the name Raymond Marshall and in which he lifted passages from Latimer, Hammett as well as Chandler.

This is all detailed in Frank MacShane's THE LIFE OF RAYMOND CHANDLER as well as his SELECTED LETTERS OF RAYMOND CHANDLER and in Tom Hiney's RAYMOND CHANDLER, A BIOGRAPHY.

This post and my previous one on the MacDonald vs Macdonald controversy should make me the bio/biblio champ for the moment on Rara. As such I would like to withdraw any advice or suggestions I have made to others in the recent past on what should or should not be included in Rara posts. Everybody should write what they like and it was dumb of me to offer anyone suggestions.

Richard Moore