RARA-AVIS: Caveat Emptor

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 14 Dec 2002

I went to the Caveat Emptor used book store in Bloomington yesterday and browsed around. I found a couple of interesting things. One, a Jim Thompson book called KING BLOOD had a hilarious 2-page intro to it. I was wondering who wrote it and when I turned the page to find out, I wasn't surprised. It was Ellroy. He actually calls the book a "flat-out stinkeroo" and still makes you want to read it.

The other amusing thing was a dedication in the front of an Ed McBain book to the Mystery Writers of America, noting that if his book didn't get some kind of award from them, they should have their collective heads examined. There was a legal definition of coercion right below the ded- ication.

And I've been following the thread of MacDonald vs. MacDonald over a name. I know that Mickey Spillane openly gives Carroll John Daly credit for Mike Hammer, but recently I read in a newsgroup that Daly promptly sued Spillane soon after he admitted that. Is that correct?

miker